Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Trade Time - Cardboard Not People

It's been a few posts since I've written about cards. Let's see, my last post about hockey or baseball cards was....still looking....still looking...October. Huh. It's been a while, hasn't it. Especially for what nominally qualifies as a card blog. I guess I should work a few posts in about cards. I haven't been buying too much lately due to a self-imposed financial limit and the fact that I haven't been “wowed” by much lately. So, how does one acquire new cardboard? Trades of course!

This one was sent to me by Trevor. I left a comment on his blog, he left one on mine. There were emails involved and then we finally hashed out a deal. He has the ambitious idea of completing a master set of 2012-13 O-Pee-Chee Hockey and I had some Rainbow Parallels hiding their light in a cardboard box. He had some cards I needed and with the help of the US and Canadian Mail systems I had some new cards.




2010 Topps “The Cards Your Mom Threw Out” Eddie Murray

One of several of Topps' “Hey let's just reprint cards we've made before!” inserts over the last few years. This one features the regular back as opposed to the “original back” which features, well, the original 1978 back of the card.

To my knowledge my mom never threw any of my cards out. Did you, Mom? DID YOU? She had plenty of chances. Most notably during college when I spent four years in Florida and kind of lost interest in collecting. In fact, if I'm not mistaken they actually moved the collection from my childhood house to the townhouse they lived in while I was in college. Thanks for not throwing out all of those Gregg Jefferies rookie cards!







2012-13 OPC Pavel Datsyuk and Tim Gleason

While not as ambitious as a master set, I have been trying to put together a complete set of the 2012-13 OPC hockey set for the last 3 years. At this rate I should be done sometime around 2021.





2012-13 OPC Bobby Orr Short print

One of the reasons it will take so long is because of cards like this. The dreaded short print. The regular base set is about 500 cards so why not throw another 100 short printed cards on top of it. Christ sometimes this hobby drives me insane.




1983 Topps George Brett

A set I'm a little closer to completing is the 1983 Topps baseball. I've actually knocked out most of the “big cards” like the Wade Boggs rookie. This is one of my favorite designs of all time. I like the action shot mixed in with the floating head.

When I think of the first cards I bought/owned it's the 83 and 82 Topps that come to mind. Those were the cards that I kept first in shoe-boxes (hey I was like 8 years old and didn't know better) and are the ones that have been in my collection the longest. I have since acquired older cards, but these are the ones that I look back on with the most fondness. I would have missed these the most if my mom had thrown them away.

And look at that uniform. No belt! Those are the baseball pants we grew up with, kids. You knew you were on a good team when you got a uniform that included a belt. If I remember correctly, I didn't have a belt until high school. That was a good day.

If you guys have some extra O-Pee-Chee lying around – head over to Trevor's site and help the kid out.





No comments: